Managing money does, and growing your wealth, not really require any fancy degrees or special background to become an expert of it. The following are some of the tips to help young people avoid financial hardships in their present and future life.
1. Find your motive: As a young adult you may have difficulties figuring out what you want to do with your life. Conduct a self-examination. Choose a career that enables you to maximise your gifts in a way that you satisfy your potential and that of others.
Use your interests and natural abilities so as to know your areas of interest. As you grow, your career may change along with your desires but for now, lean towards a field that makes you feel at home.
2. Set specific financial goals: Learn how to take control of your own financial future. Know what to accomplish with your money and stick to that. You can accumulate money and have or plan a good way of using it. Make decisions wisely on how to spend your money. You earned it, so you should know how it is being spent.
3. Be prepared for unexpected: Anytime you can lose your job, so you should save money to secure yourself. Invest on emergencies like medical, among others, not forgetting retirement plans, putting in mind that you will not remain young forever. Start saving on your first job; find some amount to save every month. This will keep you out of trouble financially.
If you make saving money part of your lifestyle, you will find yourself not saving just emergency money but having vacation money, and even more money for home down payment.
See also >> How to avoid being blacklisted by banks
4. Limit use of credit cards: Go easy on your credit cards. You can decide to use cash instead of credit cards. It’s easy to spend now with plastic and much harder to pay later. Remember that you’ll be relying on your future earnings to pay for today’s credit card purchases. And if you keep a running balance, you’ll also be paying interest, sometimes at penny-pinching rates. Make sure it doesn’t come to this, save money to meet your financial goals. Use your credit card wise and judiciously.
5. Choose your friends wisely: Choose someone whose values match your own. Whether soul mate or friend make sure you get to know them first. If you hook up with an angry or overly critical partner, you will be subjected to hostility and may lose your sense of self so make sure you are free to be yourself. Select partner who will help you improve your financial issues, keeping off those who might lead you in losing your money. Learn to make decisions with your heart, along with your head.
Next Read >> Major tax break for low-income earners