A night fire burnt down two dormitories on Wednesday at Givole Secondary School in Hamisi Sub County, Vihiga County. The fire started shortly before 10pm. A fire engine from the neighbouring Kakamega County arrived an hour later.
Unconfirmed reports indicated that several students were injured during the inferno and were rushed to Vihiga County referral hospital. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
Most of the students were still taking their evening studies when fire was noticed in one of the dormitories that later spread to the second one. Students lost their bedding, boxes, uniforms, text books, exercise books and money as no property was salvaged.