Safaricom’s Open Your Eyes Kenya has emerged as the most watched video in Kenya in this year’s YouTube Rewind, a series of videos produced, created, and uploaded by the YouTube’s official channel account on the website.
The advert by Safaricom Foundation was a CSR initiative aimed at empowering over 300,000 Kenyans who are visually impaired. For each view the video got, the Foundation matched it with financial contribution.
Coca-Cola’s 2014 FIFA World Cup Anthem The World is Ours, took the second position as did Coca-Cola Fans United, an advert by Coca-Cola CEWA (Central East and West Africa) as part of their sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup campaign that embarked on a series of campaigns including Copa where they took over 20 underprivileged boys from Sub-Saharan Africa to experience the World Cup in Brazil. Barclays Africa kept viewers with their campaign, ‘What does to Prosper mean to you? Airtel Africa, keen on identifying and encouraging the growth of musical talent in Africa pushed viewers to their video AirtelTRACE. The mobile operator has partnered with Akon, a Senegalese musician based the US, who will mentor one rising star from Africa.
Makri ya Injili, an expose by KTN’s Jicho Pevu about Victor Kanyari, a pastor at the Salvation Healing Ministry Church who was allegedly faking miracles drew many people to his story on YouTube. Vera Sidika’s interview on The Trend by NTV caught attention of Kenyans who wanted to learn more about the socialite’s life style. The love tale of an Asian lady who defied her parents order to marry a Bukusu man that led to the creation of #MyBukusuDarling on social media was among the top ten in this list of most watched videos.
Controversial Nishike video by all boys group Sauti Sol emerged the most sought music video in the same period with Tam Tam remix by Willy Paul and Size 8 coming second. Sauti Sol’s Sura Yako featuring Sarakasi Dancers completes the top three chart.
Here is the list of the winning videos
Top 10 videos
1. Open Your Eyes Kenya
2. The World is Ours (Africa version): Coca-Cola’s 2014 FIFA World Cup™ Anthem
3. Coca-Cola Fans United
4. Makri ya Injili
5. Barclays Africa | What does to Prosper mean to you? #ProsperAfrica
6. #theTrend: Socialite Vera Sidika’s new look
7. Airtel TRACE Star
8. My Bukusu Darling: Asian lady defies parents and strict traditions for love found in a Bukusu man
9. First lady runs into Uhuru’s arms
10. Mwanaharakati asimulia yaliyotendeka Raila akiwa ng’ambo
Top 10 music videos
1. Sauti Sol – NISHIKE (TOUCH ME) Official Music Video
2. Willy Paul feat. Size 8 – Tam Tam Remix (Official Video)(@willypaulbongo)
3. Sauti Sol – SURA YAKO Official LIPALA Dance Instructional Video feat. Sarakasi Dancers
4. Elani – Kookoo [@elanimuziki]
5. Jaguar Kioo (Official Video) Main Switch
6. Bahati – Barua (Official Video)
7. Elani – Milele [@elanimuziki]
8. Mfalme Wa Mapenzi -Sanaipei OFFICIAL ULTRA HD VIDEO
9. Kitanzi – Willy Paul & Gloria Muliro [GloriaMuliroTV]
10. Victoria Kimani – Prokoto (Official Video) ft. Ommy Dimpoz, Diamond Platnumz