A 70-year-old woman and her daughter-in-law were on Friday charged with robbery in which goods worth Ksh70 million were stolen. Ms Wanjiru Ndutire and Ms Wangare Njoroge were accused of committing the offence on July 15 in Salgaa, Nakuru County.

They were also accused of possessing some of the stolen goods that were allegedly found in their house in Gatundu Sub-County. A Nakuru court heard that the suspects, while armed with firearms, robbed Mr Titus Koech of a Ksh 9million trailer loaded with 1,994 computer accessories worth 15.7million, 1,438 high-end Samsung phones worth Sh35.2 million, assorted garments worth 9.6 million and other personal items.

Ms Wanjiru Ndutire (right), 70, and her daughter-in-law Wangare Njoroge appear in a Nakuru court to face charges of robbery on August 7, 2015. (Source – Nation.co.ke)

Lawyer John Ochang protested the arrests of the two, saying the main suspected culprit, who is the son of the elderly woman, was still at large. He said although the stolen items were allegedly found at their home, the women knew nothing about the heist.

Their court appearance brings to eight the number people who have been charged with the robbery, among them a traffic police officer. State prosecutor Hillary Songoyo successfully applied to have the two remanded at the Central Police Station in Nakuru, saying they had led police to where the stolen items had been kept by the main suspect, who is still on the run.

Mr Songoyo told Senior Principal Magistrate Liz Gicheha that police officers were optimistic that more items would be recovered as the search for the main suspect continues.

NEXT READ: STANDARD MEDIA IS BROKE; LOOKING FOR LOAN TO PAY RETRENCHED STAFF

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here