POLITICS

IEBC Deals Heavy Blow to Mariga’s Kibra MP Hopes

Share
McDonald Mariga has had his candidacy for the vacant Kibra constituency seat invalidated after his name was not found in the IEBC register. www.businesstoday.co.ke
McDonald Mariga has had his candidacy for the vacant Kibra constituency seat invalidated after his name was not found in the IEBC register. [Photo/Skysports/Twitter]
Share

MacDonald Mariga, the only Kenyan to have won the European Champions League, will for the meantime not vie for the vacant Kibra Constituency seat after IEBC said his name was found not to appear on the electoral body’s register.

Mariga, who had been awarded his nomination ticket by Jubilee Party so as to fly the ruling party’s flag in Kibra, was denied on grounds that he is not a registered voter. The Constitution bars Kenyans who are not registered voters from vying for an electoral seat.

According to IEBC, Mariga’s name, having not being found on the electoral body register, was therefore struck off the nomination list for the November 7 Kibra Constituency by-election. The invalidation of Mariga’s candidacy came when Mariga, along with fellow Jubilee Party politicians submitted documents to the electoral body.

Jubilee Party meanwhile accused IEBC of not following through on its work of ensuring that Mariga’s name was found on the register. According to the ruling party, Mariga is a registered voter, having already handed in an application of the same to IEBC.

“Failure of IEBC to do their administrative work cannot deny a Kenyan his or her constitutional right to vote and vie,” Langata MP Nixon Korir told reporters.

Mariga is a former Kenyan international football superstar turned politician who it seems has already found that swimming with the political sharks is not an easy tide.

The political ambitions of the former Harambee Stars captain, who is also famous for being the face of betting firm Betin, seems to have been dealt a heavy blow with this latest IEBC setback.

Mariga, who described the incident of his invalidation as being “sad”, was not allowed to answer a question as to when exactly he applied for registration as a voter. He was silent throughout the pleading of his case before IEBC officials in Kibra, as Korir and former Kakamega Senator Bonny Khalwale defended him.

Jubilee faulted IEBC for using a register from 2017, whereas voter registration was still going on. “We are saying that if a Kenyan who is above 18 years of age registers in the morning and applies in the afternoon, their application would still be valid,” said Korir.

According to Jubilee, the party has an acknowledgement slip from IEBC, acknowledging Mariga’s application to become a registered voter.

“This is a constitutional matter and no institution can infringe on a person’s constitutional right to vote or to be voted for,” insisted Khalwale.

Mariga, who won one of the games highest accolades when he lifted the UEFA Champions League in 2010 with Italian club Internazionale, will have to wait another seven days to know his fate as that is the period in which Jubilee can appeal IEBC’s decision.

Written by
Mike Njoroge -

Mike Njoroge is the founder of Daystar Oracle and FootballTriangle. He is passionate about news, religion and sports. He can be reached at: [email protected]

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
KenGen Share price
BUSINESSFEATURED STORYSTOCKS

KenGen Half-Year Profit Drop.  What You Need to Know

KenGen(Kenya Electricity Generating Company) a listed electricity generating company, has its cash...

BUSINESSFEATURED STORY

Kenya Loses Top Avocado Producer in Africa Position to Morocco

Kenya has been overtaken by Morocco as Africa’s top avocado exporter according...

NSE has launched an innovation hub to advance its digital transformation
FEATURED STORY

Nairobi Securities Exchange Admits Cinemark as a Dealer

Nairobi Securities Exchange(NSE) Plc has announced the admission of Cinemark Consult Limited...

Ms. Afaf Kontar, Chief Executive Officer of AHI Carrier (right), joins Kishore Reddy, Managing Director of North Star Cooling Systems (left), in cutting a ribbon to officially unveil the first dealer-based Carrier and Toshiba HVAC showroom in Nairobi, launched in partnership with North Star Cooling Systems.
BUSINESSFEATURED STORYNEWSTECHNOLOGY

AHI Carrier Expands Footprint in Kenya with New Dealer Showroom

AHI Carrier, a joint venture of Carrier Global Corporation, has expanded its...