FEATURED ARTICLE

Safaricom, Hit by Covid-19 Infection, Closes Key Nairobi Outlet

Share
Safaricom employee tests postive for corona says Safaricom CEo Peter Ndegwa www.businesstoday.co.ke
Safaricom Chief Executive Officer Peter Ndegwa (above) says the employee has been isolated for treatment, while the shop has been shut for cleaning and sanitization. [ Photo / Safaricom ]
Share

Safaricom was on Sunday 31st May forced to close one of its shops in Nairobi after a staff member tested positive for the Coronavirus, causing anxiety among the Safaricom family.

Safaricom Chief Executive Officer Peter Ndegwa said the staff at its Thika Road Mall (TRM) shop had been isolated for treatment, while the shop has been shut temporarily for cleaning and sanitization.

“Safaricom PLC was notified that one of our staff members working at the Thika Road Mall shop has tested positive for COVID 19. The employee is currently in isolation and receiving appropriate medical attention,” he said in a statement.

All other staff members who were working with the affected employee at Thika Road Mall were also informed and counselled. “They are undergoing screening to ensure their safety and wellbeing,” the CEO said.

Customers have been asked to access services from other nearby shops, as well as through self-service channels which include; Zuri Chatbot, MySafaricom App and our Interactive Voice Biometric System.

 “The health, safety and wellbeing of our staff and customers is our top most priority. We are fully supporting our affected colleagues and their families, through the recovery period by providing all necessary medical care and psychosocial support required, ensuring their wellbeing,” Mr Ndegwa said.

He assured of the company’s commitment “to continue working with all stakeholders to help our nation through this crisis.”

The Safaricom Thika Road Mall employee was part of the 143 positive cases announced on Saturday May 30th, raising the national tally to 1,888. The death toll in the country rose to 63 Saturday, after one more person succumbed to the virus, while 26 people were discharged from hospital raising the total number of recoveries to 464.

The COVID-19 curve begun rising sharply in Kenya since last week, raising fears that government efforts at containing the disease were not bearing fruit.

NEXT READ >> Going…..Going – K24 TV Takes Early Steps to Closure

Written by
BT Reporter

editor [at] businesstoday.co.ke

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
Joyce Ndegwa, Mentor SACCO CEO
BUSINESSFEATURED ARTICLEPERSON OF INTERESTSACCOs

Joyce W. Ndegwa: How I built Mentor SACCO into a Multi-Billion Shilling Enterprise

Joyce Waceke Ndegwa, is the CEO of Muranga-based Mentor Deposit-Taking Savings and...

EACC chief executive Twalib Mbarak speaking during the event
BUSINESSNEWS

EACC Moves to Deal with Corrupt Practices in Cooperatives Sector

The EACC (Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission) has presented a report to the...

Equity Group
BUSINESS

Equity Group Half-Year Net Profit up 32% to KSh 45.5 Billion

Equity Group Holdings Plc, Kenya’s leading regional lender with subsidiaries in Democratic...

KCB Kenya
BUSINESS

KCB Plans to Float a KSh300 billion 5-Year Bond in October

KCB Bank Group has announced plans to raise KSh 300.0 billion (US$2.32...