Kenya’s High Court will sentence former Governor of Migori County Zachary Okoth Obado on September 16 over the killing of Rongo University student Sharon Otieno.
Obado’s former personal assistant Michael Oyamo and Caspal Obiero have also been convicted, bringing to close a trial that started in September 2018. Justice Cecilia Githua last month (July 2026) found that the prosecution had proved its case against the trio accused beyond any reasonable doubt.
“It’s therefore my finding that the prosecution has proved its case against the first (Obado), the second, and the third accused persons beyond reasonable doubt,” Githua said.
The judge added that while Obado financed, and instigated the abduction, raping and killing of a lady who was 28 weeks pregnant, Oyamo played a central role in executing the plan, even as Obiero helped facilitate and conceal the crime.
According to the court, their conduct demonstrateed clear intention to commit the crime.
The court also relied on testimony from Sharon’s close friend, who said who said that Obado had urged her to terminate the pregnancy offering her Sh30,000 for an abortion and telling her to only talk to Oyamo about pregnancy-related matters
“I consequently find each accused person guilty of the offence of murder… Obado clearly wanted to contain it from the scope it had reached,” the court said.
Meanwhile, the late Otieno’s family is open to reconciliation as per Victim Impact Statement presented in court.
The family asked Obado to redeem his promise of purchasing a plot and consisting of a house for Sharon’s three children.
They also say property and a cow was sold to defray a staggering Sh4.7 million in legal and trial costs.
Leave a comment