Connect with us

MEDIA & ADVERTISING

Mutahi Ngunyi reveals Nkaissery killers in controversial video

Published

on

MY TAKE: Political analyst Mutahi Ngunyi claims Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery was killed by the 'drivers' of violence.

Political analyst Mutahi Ngunyi is in trouble with the government over his claims that Interior Cabinet Secretary was assassinated. And this has set the stage for battle between the government and internet giant Google over a video that Ngunyi has posted on Youtube, in which he repeats his earlier assertions on Twitter that the Interior CS was “forced to die”.

Youtube, a subsidiary of Google, allows users to post videos or open their own broadcast channels where they share content that meets its policies.

In the contentious video Ngunyi alleges Nkaissery was eliminated for political reasons because he was the only person who would stop violence after the elections. He says investigations in the death of Nkaissery should begin with the “drivers” of violence in the country, describing this year’s polls as black swan election that is full of surprises.

SEE ALSO: Nkaissery collapsed after talking to President Uhuru 

Based on history of violence, it Ngunyi discreetly points a finger at the opposition who, he implies, would benefit from the absence of Nkaissery.

“We must ask a few hard questions….and the thing is Nkaissery was assassinated. Some say he was sick. But then the easiest target for assassination is a sick man since you can blame his illness,” he says in the video, posted on his Fifth Estate channel.

He bases his argument based on recent predictions by EU election observers that there would be violence after the elections. “Speculation is the gift of intellectual curiosity,” he says, justifying his conspiracy theory.

READ: Tough rules for journalists covering Nkaissery burial

ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru has singled out the video and called on Google to pull it down. The video had been viewed nearly 200,000 times as we published this article. A postmortem conducted on Monday revealed Nkaissery died of a heart attack and his burial is set for tomorrow.

The Government has generally raised concern over the proliferation of hate speech being published on social media channels including Facebook, YouTube and WhatsApp. Already over 30 Facebook forums have been earmarked as bases of hate-speech, with their admins set for questioning.

The minister did not say what would be done to Mutahi Ngunyi, as owner of Fifth Estate and source of the speculation.

“We have seen a lot of activity online during the campaign season and I can tell you that almost every day, there is someone calling me to take down some piece of inciting content,” says Mucheru.

[efsflexvideo type=”youtube” url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1Bk5H24pw” allowfullscreen=”yes” widescreen=”yes” width=”420″ height=”315″/]

NEXT READ

Business Today is the leading independent online business website in Kenya. Started in 2012 by a veteran business journalist, it has a huge following both in Kenya and abroad. It covers various business and related issues. Email editor at: [email protected]

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Media Watch

Kenyan journalist wins award for RVR graft expose

Patrick Mayoyo detailed how part of Ksh 17 billion loan meant to improve the consortium’s services by buying new locomotives was used on purchasing used ones that were later expensively modified

Published

on

Kenya investigative journalist Patrick Mayoyo has bagged another award for his expose on how World Bank loans to Rift Valley Railways were stolen by a rail company in Kenya and Uganda.

The story, titled the Lunatic Express Files, was among stories that won accolades during the Norbert Zongo Investigative Journalism awards.

In the story, Mayoyo, a former deputy news editor with the Daily Nation, detailed how part of Ksh 17 billion (US$164 million) loans meant to improve RVR’s services by buying new locomotives was used on purchasing used ones that were modified at a cost of six times their value.

The story that won the merit award, revealed how development finance institutions supported companies using the world’s most secretive financial centres commonly known as tax havens and did not have proper mechanism in place to monitor loans they advanced to developing countries.

Mayoyo, now the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Reporter, also revealed that developing countries lose billions of dollars every year through tax avoidance and evasion.

The Nobert Zongo Investigative Journalism Prize is an award of excellence to reward the best works of Investigative journalism in Africa.

The prize aims to promote a journalism of investigation and research, on subjects related to political, economic, social and cultural life.

The award is named after Nobert Zongo who was the editor of the weekly newspaper L’Ind’ependant in Burkina Faso who dedicated his professional career to uncovering the truth.

He was assassinated in 1998, at the age of 49, while investigating allegations linking the brother of then Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaor’e, to a high-profile unresolved murder.

READ: 10 counties took lion’s share of roads funds, study reveals

The story revealed that most DFIs including the World Bank continue to face major challenges in measuring their overall development impact, and ensuring that the projects they fund do not harm communities in developing countries.

Following the revelations, the World Bank slapped sanctions against RVR and the Kenyan government has since cancelled the 25-year-old concession contract it had signed with RVR.

The original version of this story appeared in the Daily Reporter. 

Continue Reading

Media Watch

Popular TV girl, Amina Abdi, quits K24. Where next?

There are reports she is set to replace NTV’s Larry Madowo on The Trend show. Madowo recently shifted to the new Sidebar current affairs programme

Published

on

Former K24 Alfajiri host Amina Abdi Rabar. There is speculation she may replace Larry Madowo on NTV's The Trend after the latter recently shifted to hosting Sidebar current affairs show

Speculation is rife as to where popular TV girl, Amina Abdi Rabar, is headed to after announcing she was quitting K24 last Friday.

Some think, the former Alfajiri show host, is set to replace NTV’s Larry Madowo on The Trend show. Madowo recently shifted to the new Sidebar current affairs programme.

The Capital FM radio presenter had been hosting the popular morning show for two years before she called it quits.

‘’It’s been a good run @k24tv thanks to my wonderful bosses! I have been with K24 Alfajiri for the last two years and it’s been amazing, check out my page for more information on where I’m headed next!’’ Amina, who is also a presented with Capital FM, posted on social media.

It also recently emerged she would be leaving popular radio show, Hits not Homework, becuase she reveals she has outgrown it.

Apart from radio and TV, Amina is also a singer, MC and an actor.

She is married to Homeboyz CEO DJ John Rabar and they are blessed with one son.

She is engaged in two personal campaigns, Operation Santa – An intiative Amina started so as to feed street families. Whereby together with her fans (Amina Army) they go to different locations and feed street families and Brunch With Amina – This is a youth empowerment programme whereby Amina has an intimate chat with ladies over the different fields in which she’s had a chance to work in.

READ: Britam shareholders approve Sh5.7b AfricInvest deal

There is also Dare to Believe with Amina, a flagship initiative that focuses on encouraging young men and women especially those who are still in school, to dare to believe that they can be anything they set their mind to regardless of the challenges that they face.

The initiative also seeks to inspire them to be successful and work even harder just like she has over the years to make a name for herself in the media industry.

Amina is also the brand ambassador for Daisy girl. It is a reusable sanitary towel company founded for the sole reason of donation to disadvantaged girls.

We can only wish her the very best in her future endeavours.

Continue Reading

Media Watch

Standard employees told to go on annual leave

In a memo to staff, Group Head of Human Resources Nicholas Siwatom expresses concern that leave ourstanding has been accumulating forcing the company to carry a heavy burdern

Published

on

Standard Group headquarters along Mombasa Road in Nairobi. The media house operates KTN and KTN News television channels, Radio Maisha as well as The Standard and Nairobian newspapers.

The Standard Group has asked all its permanent employees to reduce their pending leave days as the media house embarks on austeriry measures in the wake of an anticipated drop in 2017 profits by 25%.

In a memo to staff, Group Head of Human Resources Nicholas Siwatom expresses concern that leave ourstanding has been accumulating forcing the company to carry a heavy burdern and urged them to proceed on their leave as the year comes to close, noting that it is important and healthy for employees to take time off from work.

“It has been noted that leave outstanding is accumulating and the company is carrying a heavy leave burden. It is important and healthy to take time off from work to take your leave and we approach the end of the year you are advised to plan with your manager/ supervisor your leave to ensure that you clear your pending leave or carry forward at least 5 days,” Mr Siwatom says.

It is not clear when employess at the Standard Group are reluctant to take their outstanding leaves but there have been reports that the company is planning to shed off more employees to reduce its wage bill in the face of dwindling fortunes.

However, the situation is not unique to the Standard Group. Across the media world, most employees re often reluctant to take leave to protect their interests and justify their relevance in the newsroom with the main culprits being editors and senior reporters.

READ: Britam shareholders approve Sh5.7b AfricInvest deal

This, in most cases, forces employers to buy leave days at premium rate when journalists are laid off or change jobs, which has served to encourage them not take a break.

But, at the same time, restructuring process in most media houses in recent years have seen them operate at the bare minimum in terms of personell, making them unable to accomidate annual leave for its dependable journalists, a situation that was compounded by this year’s prolonged elections process.

However, as a sign that things are not rosy at the Mombasa Road-based Standard Group, the media house recently restricted access to non-core online platforms such as Whasapp.

 

Continue Reading

Bt Intelligence

‘Fake News’ reinforces trust in mainstream media

New study by Kantar found that the reputation of traditional print and broadcast media outlets has proven more resilient than social media platforms and online only news outlets

Published

on

Traditional print media and broadcast outlets are more trusted that digital platforms in the coverage of politics and elections, a new study by the world’s leading research, data and insight brand, Kantar, has revealed.

The global “Trust in News” study, which surveyed 8,000 individuals across Brazil, France, the United Kingdom and the United States of America about their attitudes to news coverage of politics and elections, found that:

  • The efforts to brand ‘mainstream news media’ as ‘fake news’ have largely failed. The reputation of traditional print and broadcast media outlets has proven more resilient than social media platforms and online only news outlets, primarily as a result of the depth of coverage being delivered.
  • Audiences are becoming more widely informed and sophisticated in their engagement with, and evaluation of, news content.
  • The public retain a belief that journalism is key to the health of democracy – but have become more sceptical. Specifically, in both in Brazil and USA, where a significant percentage of the population believe ‘fake news’ impacted the outcome of their most recent elections.

Who do we trust?

The reputational fallout of the ‘fake news’ phenomenon has been predominantly borne by social media and messaging platforms, and ‘online only’ news channels. Print magazines, at 72%, are the most trusted news source, closely followed by the other traditional outlets of print newspapers and TV and radio news. Only one in three recognise social media sites and messaging apps as a trusted news source. ‘Online only’ news outlets are trusted by half of the population, significantly less than their print and broadcast brethren. Interestingly, the online presence of print and broadcast media are trusted slightly less than the originating titles and channels.

ALSO SEE: Firms craft smart ways to survive NASA boycott

Social media and messaging platforms have sustained significant reputational damage as a source of trusted news. News coverage of politics and elections on social media platforms (among which Facebook is dominant with 84% usage in the preceding week) and messaging apps (of which Whatsapp is the most used) is ‘trusted less’ by almost sixty percent of news audiences (58% & 57% respectively) because of the ‘fake news’ phenomenon. ‘Online only’ news outlets also sustained significant reputational damage in this respect: ‘trusted less’ by 41% of news audiences.

Print titles have proved more resilient, experiencing a smaller loss of trust, with print magazines and newspapers both ‘trusted less’ by 23% of audiences. However, both categories also experienced similar increases in trust in their coverage (23% and 17% respectively).

Print media nets out with more than three quarters of news audiences trusting them ‘the same’ or ‘more than’ before the ‘fake news’ phenomenon. 24-hour news channels also retain a strong position as a trusted source with 78% of news audiences trusting them ‘the same’ or ‘more than’ before the ‘fake news’ narrative.

Across all four surveyed countries, 46% of news audiences believe ‘fake news’ had an influence on the outcome of their most recent election. This was most pronounced in Brazil – where 69% believed fake news had an impact, and the USA where 47% believe there was an influence. There is though some recognition that companies like Facebook and Google are taking steps to tackle ‘fake news’. (13% of UK news audiences claiming to have seen efforts vs a third of Brazilians, 16% in France and 22% in the US).

News consumption habits are evolving

The news-reading public are becoming a more widely informed audience. 40% of news audiences have increased the number of news sources they use compared to 12 months prior. ‘All online’ has overtaken television as the primary source of news (figure 3). With under 35 year olds, social media – despite its reputational issues –almost matches television as a source of news (65% Vs 69%).

READ: Crazy deals up for grabs in Jumia Black Friday festival

The news audience is additionally becoming a more thoughtful audience. Contrary to ‘news filter bubble’ or ‘echo chamber’ narratives, we find 40% of social media users explore alternate views to their own and almost two thirds worry that ‘personalisation’ will create a ‘news filter bubble’. More than three quarters of news consumers claim to have independently fact-checked a story, while 70% have reconsidered sharing an article – worried that it might be fake news. On the flip side, almost one if five admit to sharing a story after reading only the headline.

The Kantar ‘Trust in News’ survey conducted representative sample surveys of 2,000 individuals each in Brazil, France, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.  A more complete summary of the survey can be found on Kantar Insight pages, along with access to the full report.

Continue Reading

News Updates

Health1 hour ago

Nestlé, US varsity unveil fully funded pediatric nutrition course

Over 30 nurses and nutritionists from Kenya have successfully completed a seven-month Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Pediatric Nutrition (PGPN)...

Opinion2 hours ago

Why accidents will remain a nightmare on our roads

So far, we have lost 2,397 lives this year as of November 9. This includes pedestrians (907), passengers (575) motorcyclists...

Politics4 hours ago

Uhuru’s win leaves Raila in limbo

The Supreme Court has unanimously dismissed two consolidated petitions against President Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election, dealing a major blow to NASA...

NEWS3 days ago

Pastors drive out accident ghosts on Thika Road

Church leaders and residents from Nyeri and Kiambu Counties Friday held prayers to cleanse and bless the busy Thika Super...

Politics4 days ago

Three NASA MPs arrested ahead of rally

According to Homa bay Women's Representative Glady Wanga, MPs Babu Owino, TJ Kajwang and Steve Mbogo, were taken to Kilimani...

NEWS4 days ago

Kenyan priest charged over Sh104,000 theft

Father Alexander Mutua Munyao is accused of stealing from the Lismore Diocese in northern New South Wales, Australia

NEWS4 days ago

Envoy urges SA firms to aid Kenya’s poor children

High Commissioner Koleka A. Mqulwana stressed the need to work closely with the communities in a bid to raise their...

NEWS4 days ago

Tsvangirai flies back as Mugabe handover imminent

Veteran President has been given an opportunity to negotiate an amicable exit and would hand over to recently sacked VP...

NEWS4 days ago

10 counties took lion’s share of roads funds, study reveals

Of these, Nairobi and Mombasa alone took up more than one third of the total spending, research conducted by the...

Politics5 days ago

Mugabe under siege as military takes power

Zimbabwe’s military on Wednesday confirmed that it had seized power in a targeted assault on “criminals” around President Robert Mugabe,...

Advertisement

Trending