FEATURED ARTICLE

FKF appoints interim CEO amid John Avire transfer scandal

Share
Head of Communications at the Federation of Kenyan Football (FKF) Barry Otieno (pictured) will take over the CEO position in acting capacity. Photo/Courtesy
Share

Politics in Kenya’s football governing body Federation of Kenyan Football have taken centre stage after the John Avire scandal. The federation’s president on Monday morning named an Interim CEO Barry Otieno after Robert Muthomi stepped down to allow investigations on the matter.

The federation is accused of playing a part in helping Sofapaka striker John Avire land a deal with an Egyptian club without the knowledge of Avire’s club (Sofapaka). The scandal forced FKF CEO Robert Muthomi to step aside over the allegations that he tried to illegally sell Sofapaka and Harambee Stars striker John Avire.

In a press statement dated 21st July 2019, Robert Muthomi (The CEO who has stepped down) said his decision to step aside was to protect his integrity and that of his office. He also said he believed his action was good for the public’s confidence in him and the federation while describing the allegations as “malicious”.

“Given the on-going debate and conversations in regards to the allegations made by Sofapaka FC on my purported involvement in the transfer of player John Avire, I have this morning requested the FKF President to allow me to step aside for investigations to commence. While I have utmost faith in the independence and competence of the FKF judicial process as earlier stated, I realise that for my integrity and that of the office of the FKF General Secretary, as well as the greater football public a credible process has to be undertaken,” the statement read in part.

[Read: EPL side Arsenal FC to develop football in Kenya]

FKF President Nick Mwendwa has termed the decision by the CEO as a sign of how the federation has grown. Speaking at a press conference he called to name an interim CEO, Mwendwa commended the Muthomi for choosing to step aside amid investigations.

Mwendwa also said that this scandal exists only because Kenya does not have enough agents of the game who do a good job. “In most transfer deals, negotiations are made between the parent club and the player. We have not grown so far in the area of transfers,” he told journalists.

The interim CEO, Barry Otieno, was the head of communication at the federation. He will hold the position for as long as the investigations take place. If Muthomi will be found guilty of illegally selling Avire to Egypt, then the Federation will have to look for a new permanent CEO. If not, he will assume his position back.

Mwendwa said that investigations are ongoing and the findings will be made available to the media in due time.

[See also: Mwendwa breaks silence on Harambee Stars AFCON performance]

Written by
Kevin Namunwa -

Kevin Namunwa is a senior reporter for Business Today. Email at [email protected].

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON 2027)
SPORTS

Sports Ministry Seeks Ksh32.2B Sports Budget Ahead of AFCON 2027

Kenya’s sports sector is heading into one of its biggest spending years...

673006309 17976852210007772 6962139009261287012 n
NEWSSPORTS

Sports Disputes Tribunal Extends FKF Boss Hussein Mohammed’s Suspension

The Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) has prolonged the suspension of Football Kenya...

fifa vs fkf
NEWSSPORTS

FIFA Receives FKF Letter Over President Hussein Mohammed Suspension Row

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) has submitted a detailed response to FIFA,...

hussein mohammed fkf
SPORTS

FIFA Intervenes in FKF Provisional Suspension of President Hussein Mohammed

World soccer governing body FIFA has called on the Football Kenya Federation...