FEATURED STORY

Heads roll as fresh maize scandal hits NCPB

Share
Share

Albin Sang has been appointed the Acting Managing Director of the National Cereals and Produce Board following the resignation of Newton Terer on Sunday.

Agriculture Principal Secretary Richard Lesiyampe has said the decision to replace Terer came after the Cereal Board moved to address an audit report looking into maize purchase and operational issues on the distribution of subsidized fertilizer.

Lesiyampe has clarified that Terer will have an obligation to offer an explanation on NCPB operations upon completion of investigations by the Board, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission and Director of Criminal Investigation.

“Newton Terer resigned and the board accepted his resignation. Terer was not coerced, intimidated or suspended prior to his resignation,” Lesiyampe said.

Until his resignation, Terer was NCPB Managing Director after taking over from Cornel Ngelechei in June 2014.

Lesiyampe further confirmed that the Board had been informed of the diversion of the subsidized fertilizer to farmers after the audit report revealed laxity and operational negligence among the top management of the NCPB.

In light of these allegations, the PS said the board and the Ministry had resolved to suspend all three Regional Managers as well as the Silo Managers reported to have been involved in malpractices.

“The Board has suspended the regional managers in the Lake Western region, South and North Rift regions pending investigation and the forensic report.”

“Similarly, all the managers in Nakuru, Eldoret, Moi’s Bridge  and Kisumu silos where these malpractices took place have been suspended and will be investigated with those found culpable set be dealt with as per the human resource management of this state corporation and also in accordance with the state laws where applicable,” he said.

The PS further said that 59 staff working in the five critical silo facilities where malpractices were reported were also under investigation.

Lesiyampe also confirmed that the ministry was in the process of registering farmers countrywide in a bid to have a record of what was being farmed and the acreage.

READ: NAKUMATT 50% CLEARANCE SALE IS ON

The PS said the board had paid one billion shillings to 3,200 small farmers with an additional 700 farmers also set to receive their payments within seven days.

Credit: Mark Kamau/Capital FM News

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
NSE has launched an innovation hub to advance its digital transformation
FEATURED STORY

Nairobi Securities Exchange Admits Cinemark as a Dealer

Nairobi Securities Exchange(NSE) Plc has announced the admission of Cinemark Consult Limited...

Ms. Afaf Kontar, Chief Executive Officer of AHI Carrier (right), joins Kishore Reddy, Managing Director of North Star Cooling Systems (left), in cutting a ribbon to officially unveil the first dealer-based Carrier and Toshiba HVAC showroom in Nairobi, launched in partnership with North Star Cooling Systems.
BUSINESSFEATURED STORYNEWSTECHNOLOGY

AHI Carrier Opens New Showroom in Nairobi

AHI Carrier, a joint venture of Carrier Global Corporation, has expanded its...

CS Wyclife Oparanya, Senator Magret Kamar and Eldoret Deputy Governor after the consultative meeting on MUSCCO
BUSINESSFEATURED STORY

Moi University Sacco Society Survives Liquidation

Moi University Sacco Society (MUSCO) could be emerging out of its financial...

FEATURED STORY

KenGen Makes Radical Changes to its Governance Structures

KenGen (Kenya Electricity Generation Company) has received approval from shareholders to recalibrate...