On 24th April, at about 10am, Safaricom mobile money service, M-Pesa, began experiencing outages. One how later the network was so jammed that sending money became virtually impossible for the better part of that Monday.
Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore explained the issue as a technical hitch. But it turns out, the hitch was executed from a very unlikely setting: p****n.
Among those who planned and pulled off the network jamming was a West African a******d in January 2016 with over $600 million (equivalent to Ksh70 billion) in fake currency. Mohammed Sani alias Dr Mustafa, from Niger, claims he helped h**k into the Safaricom network.
Sani revealed in a Nairobi court yesterday that the Safaricom network glitch that locked out M-Pesa transactions and even calls was planned and executed from his cell at Industrial Area P****n in Nairobi. He did not say the intention of jamming the network, but it was mostly likely an unsuccessful h*****g attempt.
Mr Sani said the outage was part of a mobile p***********g c****l involving hard-core prisoners, rogue police officers and p****n warders operating behind p****n cells. The network downtime forced Safaricom to offer free M-Pesa transactions the following day to appease its subscribers, costing in nearly two days of revenues running into millions of shillings.
“I know everything that happened the day Safaricom shut down,” he said, “we did it in my p****n cell. I have all the evidence and people in p****n who are willing to come out as witnesses to support my claims so that they are not seen as baseless a*********s.”
Sani, who was charged in January 2016 alongside Cameroonian Ousman Ibrahim Bako with being in possession of US dollar and Euro currency notes, said police officers smuggled into his cell two laptops, which he used to h**k into systems.
According to the s*****t, the c****l has been operating behind p****n walls until a few days ago when a deal went sour and he decided to make everything public.
Sani claimed that since he was remanded in January last year, he has managed to tap, siphon and share Ksh2.5 million with police officers who are part of the c****l.
The police, he claimed, offered the h*****s protection. Sani said his threat to disclose what has been happening b*********s landed him in trouble with p****n authorities, who have been subjecting him to inhuman treatment, including stripping him n***d, forcing him to sleep on wet floors and flogging.
“When the police realised I had no more money to pay them for protection, they started harassing me and subjecting me to inhuman treatment. This was what made me to go public and tell the court what was really happening in my room,” he said.
Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi was equally shocked as the suspected revealed how he is allowed access to a mobile phone in jail.
“The claims you are laying before the court cannot be taken lightly. They are weighty issues that need proper investigation. It would require that the magistrate come to p****n to verify them or appoint a court assistant to help you put everything on record,” said Mr Andayi.
Sani asked for two days to give the details of mobile money transactions.
Should Sani reveal the identities of the police officers helping prisoners to h**k into systems? Scroll and down and share yours views in comments section.