The NSE 20 Share Index is a price weight index calculated as a mean of the top 20
best performing counters on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
According to the bourse, the companies on the NSE 20 Share Index are selected based on a weighted market performance during a period under review.
The criteria for any firm making it to the top 20 includes;
- Trading activity measures i.e. market capitalization, shares traded, deals/liquidity and turnover during the period under review are weighed in the ratio of 4:3:2:1 respectively.
- A company must have at least 20% of its shares quoted at the NSE.
- Must have a minimum market capitalization of Kshs. 20 million.
- A company should ideally be a blue chip with superior profitability and
The NSE 20 Share Index sits along with the NSE 25 Share Index (which looks at the top 25 performing firms) and the All Share Index (which considers all the listed firms) as the indices at the bourse.
As from May 16, 2019, the NSE 20 Share Index constituent companies (in no particular order) are;
1. Barclays Bank of Kenya Ltd
2. Equity Group Holdings Plc
3. KCB Group Plc
4. Diamond Trust Bank Kenya Ltd
5. The Co-operative Bank of Kenya Ltd
6. NIC Group Plc
7. Standard Chartered Bank Kenya Ltd
Commercial & Services Sector
8. WPP Scangroup Plc
9. Kenya Airways Plc
10. Nation Media Group Plc
Construction and Allied Sector
11. Bamburi Cement Ltd
Energy and Petroleum Sector
12. KenGen Co. Plc
13. Kenya Power & Lighting Co Ltd
14. Britam Holdings Plc
15. Kenya Re Insurance Corporation Ltd
16. Centum Investment Co Plc
Investment Services Sector
17. Nairobi Securities Exchange Plc
Manufacturing & Allied Sector
18. East African Breweries Ltd
19. British American Tobacco Kenya Plc
20. Safaricom Plc
Mike Njoroge is the founder of Daystar Oracle and FootballTriangle. He is passionate about news, religion and sports. He can be reached at: [email protected]