Local private universities fair favourably in the ranking of top institutions of higher learning in Kenya, according to the 2018 UniRank ranking published on its website. uniRank (formerly 4 International Colleges & Universities) is the leading international higher education directory and search engine featuring reviews and rankings of over 13,000 officially recognized Universities and Colleges in 200 countries.
Three local private universities – Strathmore, Mount Kenya University (MKU), and Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) — feature among the top 10 Kenyan out of the 59 universities ranked by UniRank. The universities are ranked position 5, 8 and 10 respectively in Kenya.
MKU is the fastest growing university in Kenya, with a presence in various counties and the East African region. CUEA appears in the top 10 despite receiving a warning from the Commission for University Education which recommended a financial forensic audit and raised concerns about governance organs. Another private university that received a similar warning, Kenya Methodist University, is placed 11 in Kenya and rounds up the top 4 among local private universities.
United States International University (USIU) is ranked seventh in Kenya, meaning that the top 10 universities in Kenya are evenly split between public and private institutions.
Embattled communication-famed university Daystar, which recently sacked its Vice-Chancellor comes in at position 14 in the countrywide list.
Overall, the University of Nairobi tops the ranking with Kenyatta University in second position, followed by Egerton. More comes in 4th while JKUAT and Technical Univeristy are placed 6th and 9th respectively. KAG East University, Rongo University, Kenya Highlands Evangelical University, Pioneer International University and Lukenya University are ranked at the bottom in the order.
The uniRank 2018 Kenyan University Ranking features 59 officially recognized Kenyan higher-education institutions meeting the following uniRank selection criteria:
- being accredited, licensed and/or chartered by the appropriate Kenyan higher education-related organization
- offering at least four-year undergraduate degrees (Bachelor degrees) and/or postgraduate degrees (Master or Doctoral degrees)
- delivering courses predominantly in a traditional face-to-face, non-distance education format.
The uniRank University Ranking provides a non-academic League Table of all Kenyan Universities based on unbiased and valid web metrics.
RELATED: HOW TO GET A DEGREE WITH A D-PLUS
The full list appears below.
- 1 University of Nairobi
- 2 Kenyatta University
- 3 Egerton University
- 4 Moi University
- 5 Strathmore University
- 6 Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
- 7 United States International University
- 8 Mount Kenya University
- 9 Technical University of Kenya
- 10 Catholic University of Eastern Africa
- 11 Kenya Methodist University
- 12 Maseno University
- 13 South Eastern Kenya University
- 14 Daystar University
- 15 KCA University
- 16 University of Eastern Africa, Baraton
- 17 Pwani University
- 18 Chuka University
- 19 Africa Nazarene University
- 20 Technical University of Mombasa
- 21 Kabarak University
- 22 Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology
- 23 Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- 24 St. Paul’s University
- 25 University of Eldoret
- 26 Maasai Mara University
- 27 Riara University
- 28 Meru University of Science and Technology
- 29 Kisii University
- 30 Multimedia University of Kenya
- 31 Africa International University
- 32 Karatina University
- 33 University of Embu
- 34 Kibabii University
- 35 Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology
- 36 Zetech University
- 37 Great Lakes University of Kisumu
- 38 The Co-operative University of Kenya
- 39 Pan Africa Christian University
- 40 Murang’a University of Technology
- 41 University of Kabianga
- 42 Adventist University of Africa
- 43 Laikipia University
- 44 Management University of Africa
- 45 Scott Christian University
- 46 Kiriri Women’s University of Science and Technology
- 47 Machakos University
- 48 Taita Taveta University
- 49 The Presbyterian University of East Africa
- 50 Gretsa University
- 51 Kirinyaga University
- 52 Garissa University
- 53 Umma University
- 54 The East African University
- 55 KAG East University
- 56 Rongo University
- 57 Kenya Highlands Evangelical University
- 58 Pioneer International University
- 59 Lukenya University
NEXT READ: INSIDE THE BODA BODA MILLIONAIRE CLUB
All-round approach will prevent tax offences and financial crimes
Kenya has become increasingly exposed to illicit products and counterfeit goods, hence the need to take an all-round approach towards...
Kenya’s GDP to hit 5.7% despite debt burden
Despite a debt increase, Kenya’s GDP is expected to reach 5.7% up from 4.9% last year, according to ICAEW’s (the...
DPP seeks to withdraw forgery case in Sh500m Karen land suit
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has requested for withdrawal of the case against Guy Spencer Elms, the lawyer accused...
Chebukati ‘out to fix Chiloba’
When Judge Stephen Radido delivered his ruling on Thursday setting aside IEBC chairman Wafula Chebukati’s decision to send the CEO,...
Pharmaceutical firm backs social investments in healthcare
Boehringer Ingelheim, one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies, and Ashoka, the world’s largest network of social entrepreneurs, have held...
MKU ranked among 10 best universities in Kenya
Four local private universities in top 10 ranking of universities in the country.
4 MultiChoice traders win trip to watch World Cup in Russia
They will have an experience of a lifetime touring Petersburg, the Vodka Museum and enjoy a private boat tour along...
Inside the boda boda millionaire industry
In small doses of Sh50 and Sh100, Kenyans spend Ksh600 million daily on motorcycle services
Daystar University sacks vice-chancellor
Striking students had decried mismanagement of funds and quality of education
Battle for Machakos governor heads to the Supreme Court
The court faulted the IEBC returning officer for using an excel spreadsheet to record results instead of Form 37A