Kenya Power has moved to reassure members of the public that the utility company’s operations would not be affected following the a****t of several general managers over c********n.
Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji ordered for the a****t of current and former Kenya Power senior managers over procurement of defective transformers and the irregularities in prequalifying 525 companies for labour and transport contracts. Through the two contracts – for transformers and labour and transport – Kenyans lost Sh470 million besides the inconvenience the defective transformers have caused.
By Saturday, the Directorate of C******l Investigations announced that they had a******d former managing director, Dr Ben Chumo, Corporate Affairs and Company Secretary Beatrice Meso and General Manager Regional Co-ordination Peter Mwichigi. Mr John Ombui, the former General Manager, Supply Chain, was also a******d as well as Peter Mungai Kinuthia, the General Manager, Business Strategy.
The m*****t was still on for the current MD Ken Tarus, general managers Joshua Mutua, Samuel Ndirangu, Abubakar Swaleh, Stanely Mutwiri and Benson Muriithi.
Along with Dr Chumo and three directors of Muwa Trading Company Limited, which supplied the defective transformers, they will be charged with three offences of conspiracy to defraud contrary to Section 317 of the Penal Code, conspiracy to commit an offence of economic c***e contrary to Section 47 A(3) as read with Section 48 of the Anti-C********n and Economic C****s Act 2003 and fraudulent acquisition of public property contrary to Section 45(1)(a) as read with Section 48 of the Anti-C********n and Economic C****s Act 2003.
Kenya Power had already paid Sh310 million for the defective transformers despite the power company having terminated the contract.
In a statement, Board chairman Mahboub Maalim Mohamed said operations of the business have not and will not be affected.
“The Board of Directors is aware that senior management staff were summoned by the Director of C******l Investigations (DCI) following orders from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. The summons are based on two issues under investigation; supply of transformers and Labour and Transport contracts. The Board wishes to reassure members of the public, customers, shareholders, development partners and other stakeholders that operations of the business have not and will not be affected,” he said.
“The Board further wishes to inform all stakeholders that the Company has in place a business continuity strategy hence all operations will continue normally. The Board is confident that the operational strategy allows normal business to continue. The Board will keep all stakeholders informed in due course,” added the statement.