FEATURED ARTICLE

University of Nairobi shut over protests

Share
Share

The University of Nairobi was Tuesday morning closed for an unspecified period of time by the school’s Senate. All students were asked to evacuate their residence by 9.00 am.

The move comes a day after the students protested against police brutality that left 27 of their colleagues injured. The students blocked parts of Mamlaka Road and State House Road overnight burnt down security offices saying that the officials had failed to stop the police invasion.

They blocked a fire engine from reaching the  area but were finally dispersed by the police who fired gunshots into the air.

SEE: Why many Kenyan students are getting depressed

The 27 students they were protesting over had been clobbered by the police who had invaded their halls and estates in an effort to stop an ongoing riot on Thursday last week.

In relation to the invasion of the police, another protest was reported along Lower Kabete Road whereby students closed down the roads in a bid to have Vice Chancellor Prof Peter Mbithi removed from the institution alleging that he had a hand in it.

Students protested overnight demanding the resignation of Vice Chancellor Prof Peter Mbithi.

Acting Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i on Monday met with Mbithi, Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet and student union leaders to deliberate on the matter, which  has been placed under investigation.

The students had taken to the streets to protest the rearrest of Embakasi East MP Babu Owino, a former students union chairman.

ALSO SEE: NTV anchor threatens to resign over police brutality

Also in the meeting was Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) chairman Macharia Njeru. IPOA says it is seized of the matter, though it says prelimimary investigations have revealed that some of the videos and photos circulating on social media were doctored.

There is still tension at the institution with more protests planned for today. Anti-riot police were put on standby. In a communication to students, the university senate said it took the decision to shut down the university due to the deteriorating security situation.

“UON senate has today closed the University with immediate effect due to the deteriorating security situation. Students have been asked to vacate the halls of residence with immediate effect but not later than 9.00am,” it said in a statement posted on Twitter.

Reports indicate that at least 34 students behind the protests have been expelled.

READ: Politics finally killing brand Kenya
Written by
ABIGAEL TAIRO

Abigael Tairo is a journalism and communications student at Daystar University on internship at Business Today. She is passionate about print media and loves writing human interest articles.You can reach her on email: [email protected]

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
EACC chief executive Twalib Mbarak speaking during the event
BUSINESSNEWS

EACC Moves to Deal with Corrupt Practices in Cooperatives Sector

The EACC (Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission) has presented a report to the...

Equity Group
BUSINESS

Equity Group Half-Year Net Profit up 32% to KSh 45.5 Billion

Equity Group Holdings Plc, Kenya’s leading regional lender with subsidiaries in Democratic...

KCB Kenya
BUSINESS

KCB Plans to Float a KSh300 billion 5-Year Bond in October

KCB Bank Group has announced plans to raise KSh 300.0 billion (US$2.32...

Konza City
FEATURED ARTICLETECHNOLOGY

Konza Seeks Chinese Assistance in Setting Up its Digital Backbone

Konza Technopolis has partnered with China’s Guodong Network to accelerate the tech...