NEWS

Three Killed After Landslide Strikes Suba South

Share
Three Killed After Landslide Strikes Suba South
Preliminary reports indicated that more than 900 people had been affected by the incident. (Photo: HomaBayCountyKE)
Share

Three people, including two brothers, were killed, and one other, their father, was injured after a landslide struck homes in Suba South Constituency of Homa Bay County this week, the authorities said.

The landslide took place late hours of Monday, April 29, in its Rang’wa East and Kaksingri West locations and at Kisaku village, tons of debris killed and swept the two brothers identified as Calvince Otieno, 12, and 5-year-old Moses Otieno downstream plus one other 42-year-old woman, Alice Orutha, bringing the death toll of inclement weather at Suba South to four since the heavy rains started, Deputy County Commissioner Sebastian Okiring confirmed on Tuesday.

Mr Okiring said that crews rescued the father of the two juveniles, Sylvance Otieno, who was in critical condition and undergoing medical care after moving the bodies of the deceased to the Sindo Sub-County Hospital Mortuary.

> 7 Small enterprises making a kill this rainy season

According to Sylvance’s wife, Benta Otieno, the mother of the two brothers who perished, the slide smashed into their family home and destroyed it while she was away, and they are now left homeless and with nothing:

“I am appealing to the government to come to my aid. This disaster has left me distraught,” she cried out.

Officials have asked the constituents to seek higher grounds and stay away from the slide area because of unstable slope conditions, as preliminary reports indicated that more than 900 people had been affected by the incident.

The area MP, Caroli Omondi, said his office, in collaboration with the national government and Homa Bay County Government, was committed to supporting the victims, and it had given 150 mattresses and 20 bales of food for distribution to the affected families.

> KDF Issues a Statement After Video Shows Soldier Striking a Police Officer in Likoni

Written by
JUSTUS KIPRONO -

Justus Kiprono is a freelance journalist based in Nairobi, Kenya. He tracks Capital Markets and economic trends, infrastructure reform, government spending, and the financial impacts of state decision-making nationwide. You can reach him: [email protected]

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
NMG CEO Nation. Media Group
BUSINESSMEDIA

Media Giant Without Bureaus: NMG on Why It’s Closing Regional Offices

The Nation Media Group (NMG) management has confirmed plans to close regional...

Treasury CS John Mbadi
BUSINESS

Treasury Raises Ksh290B in Fresh Eurobond to Refinance 2028, 2032 Debt

Kenya has raised Ksh 290 billion (about $2.25 billion) from international markets...

National Treasury building. PHOTO/@KeTreasury/X
BUSINESS

Treasury Shifts Project Risk to Private Firms in New PPP Plan

Private investors seeking to partner with the government in Kenya’s new wave...

A customer in Nairobi tops up on clean fuel at a KOKO Fuel ATM 1024x576
BUSINESS

KOKO Networks Assets on the Market as PwC Seeks Investor

A formal search for investors has begun for KOKO Networks Limited after...