Citizen Tv anchor Jacque Maribe

Citizen TV News Anchor Jacque Maribe, who is under the police radar following the arrest of her fiancé over the killing of 28-year-old Monica Kimani, was the anchor who read the first report on Citizen TV.

In an ironical twist to the story which has courted national headlines, it was Maribe who read the news of Monica’s murder on September 21. Her fiancé Joseph Irungu Kuria is in police custody after being charged with the murder.

Flanked by her parents and city lawyer Katwa Kigen, the journalist came out of the woods on September 27 and presented herself for questioning at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) offices in Kilimani as the police sought to corroborate Irungu’s alibi on the night Ms Kimani was murdered.

Maribe denied knowing Ms. Kimani only telling detectives she was aware Irungu possessed a gun, which is said to be illegal, and had warned him against taking it to her house at Royal Park Estate in Lang’ata.

A live bullet was discovered in her house when police searched it following his arrest.

Irungu AKA Jowie is the prime suspect in the case. Ms Kimani was found dead with her throat slit in a bathtub at her house in Lamuria Apartments, Kilimani Estate, Nairobi on September 20.

On September 27, police dusted the Toyota Allion that Irungu was driving on that night for finger prints after police established that the car was spotted outside Ms. Kimani’s house before she was found dead. The car belongs to Maribe.

Irungu was arrested on September 25 after he filed a report at Lang’ata Police Station stating he was shot on the chest by unknown people on the same night.

He was charged with Monica’s murder on September 26 and was remanded at Muthaiga Police Station after the prosecution opposed his bail request.

Reports indicate that Irungu told the police he was shot by a gunman shortly after dropping Maribe at her house, moments after picking her from a club in Kilimani.

Citizen TV’s Jacque Maribe with her father after appearing before detectives at Kilimani police station.

According to Irungu, they arrived at the estate in the wee hours of Friday morning on September 21 where he spotted three men at the estate’s gate.

Jowie, in his report to the police, claims to have been shot when he came back outside to establish the intentions of the three men shortly after escorting Maribe into the house.

That was when he claims to have been shot by a gunman riding on a motorbike.

Mainstream media also reported that Maribe and Irungu gave contradictory statements to the homicide detectives investigating the case on exactly which hospital Maribe took Irungu to for medical treatment after first claiming that she took him to Nairobi West hospital where he was allegedly treated and discharged.


They also claimed to have gone to Lang’ata and Kijabe Mission hospitals. Maribe and Irungu also dithered on where the alleged shooting took place after first claiming it was inside the house before later revising their position to outside.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here