MARKETS

Insurance Broker Strikes $30bn Takeover Deal

Share
Aon PLC www.businesstoday.co.ke
Brokerages, which help connect businesses looking for coverage with insurers, have been aggressively merging to diversify and boost commissions. [ Photo / Bloomberg ]
Share

Aon Plc agreed to buy Willis Towers Watson Plc in an almost $30 billion transaction that combines the world’s second- and third-biggest insurance brokerages.

The all-stock deal, the largest ever for the industry, comes almost exactly a year after previous talks between the two companies broke down. Aon Chief Executive Officer Greg Case and Chief Financial Officer Christa Davies will lead the combined company, according to a statement Monday.

Brokerages, which help connect businesses looking for coverage with insurers, have been aggressively merging to diversify, boost commissions and serve customers who increasingly want to deal with fewer intermediaries. Marsh & McLennan Cos. the largest broker, bought Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group Plc last year for $5.7 billion. Willis Towers was itself formed in 2016 in an $8.9 billion merger.

Eary stage talks

The Aon deal “combines two highly complementary businesses into a technology-enabled global platform that is more relevant and responsive to client needs,” the companies said in the statement.

Both brokerages have fingerprints in Chicago, with two of the city’s tallest structures bearing their names. Aon still maintains U.S. operations at Aon Center, 200 E. Randolph St., after moving its global headquarters to London in 2012, while Willis – then known as Willis Group Holdings – obtained the naming rights to the former Sears Tower at 233 S Wacker Drive in 2009 and leased a portion of space in the building.

Under the deal, Willis Towers investors will receive 1.08 Aon shares for each of their shares, with existing Aon investors owning about 63% of the company once the deal is completed. Willis Towers Watson shareholders will get about $231.99 a share in stock. That’s 16% higher than the company’s closing price on Friday.

Last year, Aon and Willis Towers Watson pulled the plug on a proposed combination less than 24 hours after preliminary talks leaked. A Bloomberg News report thrust the discussions into the public, making it difficult for Aon to move forward because it was still refining the terms of its offer, people familiar with the matter said at the time.

Irish regulations forced the disclosure of early-stage talks last year. Aon said at the time that it reserved the right within 12 months to set aside its announcement that it wasn’t intending to pursue a deal. While Aon was restricted from reaching out to Willis for at least a year, Willis was free to approach its pursuer, according to a person familiar with the matter. [ dailyherald.com ]

Next >> Handing Over Safaricom to Kenyan CEO Will be a Tricky Affair

Written by
BT Reporter -

editor [at] businesstoday.co.ke

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
From left Mitesh Shah and Jagat Shah addressing the media
BUSINESSTECHNOLOGY

Mitsumi Invests US$2M in AI Cloud Platform For Kenyan Innovators

Mitsumi, a technology distributor, is investing US$2 million in artificial intelligence cloud...

Kenya Power Chairperson Joy Masinde test driving the new BYD Shark 6 Pick Up
BUSINESS

Kenya Power Earns KSh 382M e-Mobility Revenue

Kenya Power, the state-owned electricity distributor, has announced a record growth in...

CBK headquarters in Nairobi
BUSINESSMARKETSNEWSSTOCKS

CBK Raises KSh 36.6 Billion for Budget Spending in May

CBK (Central Bank of Kenya) accepted bids worth KSh 36.59, falling below...

East African Cables -Equity Bank
BUSINESSSTOCKS

East African Cables Plc Acquired by Cable Experts Limited

East African Cables has been acquired by Cable Experts Limited. In this...