Today I want to share about destructive relationship spirits. These are the parts of our character that sabotage our relationships, if not subdued. When they arise, we do not see the other person but to fixate on ourselves.
It is important to identify your own destructive spirits first and acknowledge that sometimes your relationship stops working not because of externalities, but because you are knowingly/unknowingly engaging bad spirits.
1. The spirit of the score-keeper. Relationships were designed to be mutually beneficial but not quid pro quo. Score keepers always measure the relationship based on what they receive not what they give. When they give, there are always strings attached.
2. The spirit of a saint. The saint is the person in the relationship who never sees fault with themselves but rather finds fault with everyone else. They are addicted to fault finding and criticism. They often play the victim card and are the ones ‘always wronged’ in relationships.
3. The spirit of the warlord. This is generally the abusive person in the relationship, and s/he is frequently looking for open confrontation. Their tone and general demeanour is ridden with conflict. They are always ready for a fight.
4. The spirit of the silent warlord. This is the kind of person who is very conniving and plans ways and means to frustrate you. They are the ones who do not shout, but do things that will make you shout. They plot and skim ways to frustrate and make your life difficult.
READ ALSO: Five steps to build strong relationships
5. The spirit of the bottomless pit. These are the hardest people to please. People with this spirit do not know how to receive. If they receive attention, it is never enough! They resist compliments, complain and play the victim. Unlike the saint who always finds fault with other people, the bottomless pit is overly needy and sensitive.
6. The spirit of mis-direction. This is more common in men than women. It’s a brilliant defence mechanism that ensures critical issues are never addressed. People with this spirit always keep their partners busy with stories that are not relevant. They confuse with jokes and are even willing to create conflict to avoid discussing issues.
7. The spirit of comfort. The person with this spirit believes that relationships manage themselves. They often seem not to remember incidents, information, etc. and are quick to declare “I do not know/remember” in conversations. They put little effort in peace or connection, they sit and relax. They know what to do, but almost never rise to do it.
Have you identified your bad spirit/s? What steps are you taking to make relating with you easier?
100 schools join tree planting competition
In its fourth phase, they will compete in nurturing drought resistant Terminalia brownie, Senna siamea and Melia volkensi tree species in 0.5 acre...
Unlock pension fund capital to address the housing shortage in Kenya
Pension funds in the Kenya have traditionally invested in property, equities and debt instruments but there has been agitation to...
Why Balala cancelled Sh20m Shujaa sponsorship
CS says players embarrassed the country by concealing the name: Make It Kenya on their team jerseys, while playing in...
All-round approach will prevent tax offences and financial crimes
Kenya has become increasingly exposed to illicit products and counterfeit goods, hence the need to take an all-round approach towards...
Kenya’s GDP to hit 5.7% despite debt burden
Despite a debt increase, Kenya’s GDP is expected to reach 5.7% up from 4.9% last year, according to ICAEW’s (the...
DPP seeks to withdraw forgery case in Sh500m Karen land suit
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has requested for withdrawal of the case against Guy Spencer Elms, the lawyer accused...
Chebukati ‘out to fix Chiloba’
When Judge Stephen Radido delivered his ruling on Thursday setting aside IEBC chairman Wafula Chebukati’s decision to send the CEO,...
Pharmaceutical firm backs social investments in healthcare
Boehringer Ingelheim, one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies, and Ashoka, the world’s largest network of social entrepreneurs, have held...
MKU ranked among 10 best universities in Kenya
Four local private universities in top 10 ranking of universities in the country.
4 MultiChoice traders win trip to watch World Cup in Russia
They will have an experience of a lifetime touring Petersburg, the Vodka Museum and enjoy a private boat tour along...