There are always two sides to every situation. Depending on how you want to view it, you choose to see the positive or negative side, according to businessman Chris Kirubi. The truth is, every crisis while totally disconcerting, also has seeds of opportunity, he says, writing in his column #AskKirubi.
“I bet by now we have adapted to the new normal by taking it a day at a time, dealing with the abrupt changes that COVID-19 brought with it,” he says. “With these tough times though, we need to focus on the opportunities that a crisis presents to us especially the entrepreneurs.”
As an entrepreneur, a professional worker or self employed, you are always steering through some kind of repurposing and redirection. Kirubi says businesses must navigate the challenges of Coronavirus and, most importantly, address the current needs of their customers. Remember it is much easier and cheaper to retain the clients that you already have than to acquire new ones.
Mr Kirubi, who is recovering from cancer, has not allowed the condition to slow him down. He has been running his multi-billion business empire from home (at times leaving to attend meetings here and there) and keeps sharing tips on how to make it in business and life.
He has shared quite a lot during this Covid-19 pandemic disruption. Business Today has schemed through and selected some of the most inspiring pieces of advice shared on Twitter. If you are down or stranded and wondering what next, or you want to venture out, you will surely find something stimulating from Chris Kirubi.
1. My friends, I hope you are living life on your own terms. Forget what others think and trust your ability to make the right decisions for yourself and your business. Self-confidence and confidence will take you the extra mile.
2. We are never truly alone. Reach out and you might be surprised to find how similar your journey is to another. We all have something to learn from each other so let us support each other and be kind to one another because that way, we get through together.
3. In one way or another, we are afraid of change in our lives…remember it’s all in the mind. Embrace change so that you are not left behind and use it to create value for yourself and your brand.
4. It doesn’t matter how old or young you are. No matter your age, you can achieve anything you set your mind to. If I could do it, then anyone can do it. Good things are never handed down to anyone, you have to work smart, work hard and stay dedicated to your goals.
5. Remember as you work, you are either working towards achieving your dream or helping someone achieve their dream. Create a balance and let your efforts earn you success.
6. You must continuously innovate and redevelop your business for it to survive. Invest in research and development to ensure that you are always delivering the right products and services in the market.
7. What you can have & who you can be is up to you. You are your only limit. There’s nothing you can’t have or achieve if you’re willing to work for it. There are no reasonable limits relating to what you can achieve other than those in your own mind.
8. Success requires hard work, patience, resilience, talent, teamwork and yes, hard work again. Any “opportunity” promising to circumvent any of the latter is most likely a scam. Overnight success is a misconception and planning your life around it is plain senseless.
9. Happy new month (Sept.) my friends! Every month is an opportunity to discover something or make a decision that will change your life forever. Set your intentions and give yourself a fresh start. You build your own future. No one else will do it for you. Don’t miss it.
10. You succeed in one thing and fail in another. But when you fall down, you get up, dust yourself and move on. Don’t live in the world of failing, live in the world of I can do it and I can make it. Success doesn’t come overnight. Make your week count!
11. I know the pressure of ‘making it’ can take toil on you, but you don’t have to succumb to it. There will be ups & downs but that shouldn’t discourage you. You fail at something, heed the lessons, get yourself together & press on.
12. Stay passionate about your life and future. Passion is a difference-maker. It is the fuel that will help you reach your goals as you go through life. Don’t be passive about life because you get more meaning out of it when you are passionate & present.
14. The brain is an expandable asset. Take time to read and learn new things because this will inform your business decisions, expand your mind and add versatility to your life.
15. Are you irreplaceable in the organisation you work for or are you the kind who can be replaced easily? Ensure that you’re doing your research, adding value to the company and giving quality work every day.
16. Stay true to yourself, your aspirations and goals in life. Live your life to the best of your ability. Keep smiling, keep being positive and always remember we all have our own unique path in life.
17. What you do today, not yesterday, is what will determine how you live your life tomorrow. It’s unfortunate that so many of us spend time regretting yesterday, planning their life around it when it’s over, gone, finished! Yesterday in no way can impact tomorrow.
18. The truth is that wealth is first and foremost, created in your mind. There is power in positive thoughts, so long as you follow through and put your brilliant ideas to action.
19. One of the mistakes people make is to get frustrated when they feel stuck or they are not progressing as they would want. Appreciate where you are in your journey, even if it is not where you want to be. Every season serves a purpose. So go through it and grow.
20. You need to do better to become better. You have to do things differently to see change. Transform your mindset, upgrade your habits and think positively. Nothing happens unless you are consistent with your progression. Step up and make it happen.
21. For your business to slowly bounce back, you have to solve a need. Observe what the community around you needs at the moment or will need in the near future and develop a product to solve it. Crisis breeds innovation & opportunity. Keep looking for that value addition.
22. The biggest challenge of being an entrepreneur is starting. You have to stop making excuses and be prepared to put in the hard work required to get you there. Victory belongs to those who are persistent.
23. One thing that has kept me going through my entrepreneurial journey has been resilience. I have faced rejection multiple times but that has enabled me to build patience. You will face rejection but that doesn’t always mean you’re failing.
24. Life offers many great choices, all you have to do is see them. No matter what happened in our past, mistakes we have made, life will give us a second chance. Let’s change for a better version by making different choices and doing things differently.
25. Success doesn’t mean that you must have certain qualifications. It is inbuilt & according to what drives you. Everyone has a dream but not everyone has the courage, tenacity & persistence to see their dream through. Push yourself to achieve your dream of success.
26. Take what you do seriously, cultivate and practice discipline in everything that you do because it is the core of progress. Believe in your business, follow a productive routine, stay motivated and focused amidst the distractions and challenges of this world.
Also Read >> Why Women are Better at Making Money Than Men
27. Are you taking positive action by changing your mindset? Self-pity and whining over lack of money or opportunities will not change your situation but doing something will. It’s time you thought of how much effort you are willing to put to change your current situation.
28. You can't do the same things, the same way and expect change. Transform your mindset. To attract better, you have to become better. Upgrade your habits. Think positive. Be hopeful and consistent with your progression.
29. Never think that where you are is your final destination. You are a work in progress. So keep learning, growing, and evolving in all the ways possible. You might not see how much you’re changing now, but when you look back you’re not the same person. Keep going!
30. You decide how you come out of this pandemic. Keep working through the hardships my friends.