NEWS

Police Officers Accused Of Shooting Mask Vendor During Protests Interdicted

Share
Inspector General of the National Police Service Douglas Kanja
Inspector General of the National Police Service Douglas Kanja. [Photo/@NPSOfficial_KE/X]
Share

Two police constables implicated in the shooting of a mask vendor during protests have been interdicted.

In a statement on Wednesday, June 19, 2025, National Police Service Spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga confirmed that Police Constable Klinzy Barasa Masinde and Police Constable Duncan Kiprono had been suspended from the service following the shooting.

“Following yesterday’s disturbing shooting incident, the National Police Service (NPS) wishes to provide the following update to the public: The details of the two police officers arrested yesterday are as follows: No. 119413 Police Constable Klinzy Barasa Masinde (and) No. 117193 Police Constable Duncan Kiprono,” Nyaga stated.

“The two officers have now been interdicted and are currently being processed by the Homicide Team, DCI Headquarters, pending further action.”

Nyaga revealed that the victim, identified as Boniface Mwangi Kariuki, is recuperating in stable condition at Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi following successful surgery.

“The National Police Service (NPS) deeply regrets this unjustified act and commiserates with the victim and his family, while reaffirming its full commitment to ensuring justice is served,” Nyaga added.

Boniface was among those caught in a police crackdown on demonstrators during the #JusticeForAlbertOjwang protest, which sought accountability for the death of teacher and blogger Albert Omondi Ojwang while in police custody.

In a statement released on Wednesday June 18, 2025, Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) acting Chief Executive Officer Dr William Sigilai indicated that the vendor was brought into the Accident and Emergency Department at 3:16 pm, showing severe brain injury and excessing bleeding.

KNH’s emergency team stabilised his condition and placed him on life support. Further, a CT scan of the brain confirmed that the bullet was lodged on the left side of the head.

At 8:50 pm, the doctors operated on Kariuki and after two hours, managed to remove the bullet.

Following the surgery, Kariuki was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), where he is receiving round-the-clock supervision to ensure his condition improves. 

“While his condition is still critical, he is alive and under close, round-the-clock observation and care by our medical team. In total, 16 patients were received at Kenyatta National Hospital as a result of the protest-related unrest,” Dr Sigilai said in the statement.

Read: Police Reforms: Murkomen Announces 5 New Changes In Police Service

>>> LSK Questions Police Over Influencer’s Mysterious Death

Written by
BT Reporter -

editor [at] businesstoday.co.ke

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
Ruku G
NEWS

CS Ruku Outlines National Infrastructure Fund Plan, Defends Mt Kenya Regional Leadership

Cabinet Secretary for Public Service Geoffrey Ruku has said the government is...

KenGen Share price
BUSINESSFEATURED STORYSTOCKS

KenGen Half-Year Profit Drop.  What You Need to Know

KenGen(Kenya Electricity Generating Company) a listed electricity generating company, has its cash...

BUSINESSFEATURED STORY

Kenya Loses Top Avocado Producer in Africa Position to Morocco

Kenya has been overtaken by Morocco as Africa’s top avocado exporter according...

KQ planes at the JKIA airport.
BUSINESS

KQ announces flight delays up to 4 hours at JKIA

Flight disruptions at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) are deepening, with Kenya...