POLITICS

Uhuru spares CSs implicated in corruption scandals

Share
President Uhuru Kenyatta during a past address to the nation. A new report has shows that the Managed Equipment Services (MES) project he launched in his first term is burdening the taxpayer.
Share

For a moment during his State of the Nation (SoTN) adress on Thursday, President Uhuru Kenyatta had Kenyans on the edge of their seats appearing to be finally wielding the axe and ridding his cabinet off members embroiled in corruption scandals only to dampen the public’s expectations by declaring that no one will be given the boot until they are officially charged with theft of public funds.

The public was hoping that President Kenyatta would ask the CSs to step aside like he did during his SoTN adress in 2015 when former CSs Charity Ngilu, Davis Chirchir, Felix Koskei, Micheal Kamau and Kazungu Kambi were mentioned as persons of interest in an Ethics and Anti Corruption Comission (EACC) report.

Uhuru had been under intense pressure from politicians, the media, lobby groups and the public to sack the  cabinet secretaries under question but the president cleverly dismissed the idea asking the public to wait for investigative agencies to complete probing the different sets of scandals.

“I have been under pressure to say who am I sacking. I must however caution that the pursuit of the corrupt will be undertaken strictly within the remits of the law. It will not be done through vigilante justice and pitchfork protest. Though media narratives rally our resolve as they should, there will be no condemnation before one has been heard,” said President Kenyatta.

By doing so, President Uhuru Kenyatta bought the Directorate of Criminal investigations (DCI), EACC and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) more time to firm up cases against state officials widely presumed to be on borrowed time.

Cabinet Secretaries Henry Rotich (Treasury), Mwangi Kiunjuri (Agriculture), Eugene Wamalwa (Devolution and ASAL areas) have all been grilled at DCI headquarters on Kiambu Road in the recent past in connection with the loss of Ksh63 billion meant for the construction of Arror and Kimwarer multi-purpose dams in Elgeyo Marakwet County and Itare dam in Nakuru County.

Kiunjuri and Wamalwa were grilled for their roles in the awarding of the tenders during their stints as Devolution& Water and Irrigation CSs respectively.

{Read: State of the Nation: Uhuru talks up SGR, Education and SMEs}

Investigations into the dams scandal are complex as they require cooperation from the Italian government as the firm awarded tenders for the construction of the dams, CMC di Ravenna had already been declared bankrupt back at home.

It has been revealed that the firm was paid to ‘begin’ the construction of the dams without the designs and was also paid for work not done.

Uhuru also threw his weight behind DCI Director George Kinoti and DPP Noordin Haji who are facing an onslaught from politicians allied to Deputy President Dr William Ruto who have accused the two of ‘skewing’ investigations to scuttle the second in command’s 2022 presidential ambitions.

“I remain confident in our investigative and prosecutorial agencies to deliver and ensure that justice is served,” said Uhuru.

Ruto himself has also accused Kinoti and Haji of targeting him in the war against corruption, a position that has been echoed by his lieutenants, albeit more explicitly.

{See also: Class 8 dropout wins Sh1 million in Safaricom Kocho Kocho promo}

Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro has also announced plans to table a motion on the floor of the National Assembly to whittle down the DPP and DCI’s powers.

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
NSE has launched an innovation hub to advance its digital transformation
FEATURED STORY

Nairobi Securities Exchange Admits Cinemark as a Dealer

Nairobi Securities Exchange(NSE) Plc has announced the admission of Cinemark Consult Limited...

Ms. Afaf Kontar, Chief Executive Officer of AHI Carrier (right), joins Kishore Reddy, Managing Director of North Star Cooling Systems (left), in cutting a ribbon to officially unveil the first dealer-based Carrier and Toshiba HVAC showroom in Nairobi, launched in partnership with North Star Cooling Systems.
BUSINESSFEATURED STORYNEWSTECHNOLOGY

AHI Carrier Opens New Showroom in Nairobi

AHI Carrier, a joint venture of Carrier Global Corporation, has expanded its...

CS Wyclife Oparanya, Senator Magret Kamar and Eldoret Deputy Governor after the consultative meeting on MUSCCO
BUSINESSFEATURED STORY

Moi University Sacco Society Survives Liquidation

Moi University Sacco Society (MUSCO) could be emerging out of its financial...

FEATURED STORY

KenGen Makes Radical Changes to its Governance Structures

KenGen (Kenya Electricity Generation Company) has received approval from shareholders to recalibrate...