FEATURED STORY

Concern over quality of 0.3 million bags of discoloured maize in NCPB silos

Share
Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mwangi Kiunjuri when he toured NCPB silos in Eldoret on November 12 last year.
Share

Over 300, 000 bags of maize at the National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB) depot in Kisumu is discoloured raising concerns over its safety for human consumption.

The consignment is part of the 600, 000 bags the board purchased from farmers and stored at the facility last year.

Speaking at the facility in Kisumu on Tuesday, Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mwangi Kiunjuri said a technical team comprising officers from Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS), Ministry of Health, Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) and crops department is already at the facility to investigate the cause of the discolouration.

“The discolouration does not necessarily mean that the maize is contaminated. Once the team is done with the investigations we shall be able to know the cause and whether it is fit for human consumption or not,” said Kiunjuri.

Kiunjuri said the discolouration could have been occasioned by keeping the grain in silos for long adding that a comprehensive report on the matter shall be released after one week.

The CS who is touring NCPB stores across the country to ascertain the state of produce at the facilities following a Senate directive said the team will also investigate other challenges facing NCPB silos and come up with the way forward.

READ: TOP TV STATIONS HIT BY FRESH KEY STAFF EXITS

One of the challenges is inadequate storage facilities since part of the stores and warehouses have been leased out.

“We are now forced to transport part of the maize here to other storage facilities yet this facility has a capacity of 900, 000 bags against the 600, 000 it received last year,” said the CS.

The government, he added, was in the process of paying Sh2.6 billion owed to sugarcane farmers in a bid to revive the sector.

“The factories set to benefit are currently being audited to ensure that only legitimate farmers are paid. No ghost farmers shall be paid and we also want the factories to clear with farmers who owe them before we release the funds,” added Kinjuri.

President Kenyatta announced the waiver on October 20 in Kakamega during Mashujaa day celebrations.

SEE ALSO: WHEN ‘RESCUERS’ TURN INTO CHILD TRAFFICKERS

In addition, a 15 member task force to oversee the clearance of the Sh2.6 billion farmers’ debt has already been gazzetted.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PAST ARTICLES AND INSIGHTS

Related Articles
KenGen Share price
BUSINESSFEATURED STORYSTOCKS

KenGen Half-Year Profit Drop.  What You Need to Know

KenGen(Kenya Electricity Generating Company) a listed electricity generating company, has its cash...

BUSINESSFEATURED STORY

Kenya Loses Top Avocado Producer in Africa Position to Morocco

Kenya has been overtaken by Morocco as Africa’s top avocado exporter according...

NSE has launched an innovation hub to advance its digital transformation
FEATURED STORY

Nairobi Securities Exchange Admits Cinemark as a Dealer

Nairobi Securities Exchange(NSE) Plc has announced the admission of Cinemark Consult Limited...

Ms. Afaf Kontar, Chief Executive Officer of AHI Carrier (right), joins Kishore Reddy, Managing Director of North Star Cooling Systems (left), in cutting a ribbon to officially unveil the first dealer-based Carrier and Toshiba HVAC showroom in Nairobi, launched in partnership with North Star Cooling Systems.
BUSINESSFEATURED STORYNEWSTECHNOLOGY

AHI Carrier Expands Footprint in Kenya with New Dealer Showroom

AHI Carrier, a joint venture of Carrier Global Corporation, has expanded its...