Citizen television, Kenya’s leading TV station in terms of viewership, has lost one of its best presenters in what is a major blow to Royal Media Services.
Willis Raburu, who has risen to fame while at Citizen TV, resigned a few weeks ago and is now serving notice. It is not clear when his last day of working is, but inside sources say he could be leaving Royal Media Services any time from now.
Raburu, arguably one of the fast-rising journalists in Kenya, was hired by citizen TV in October 2010 when he was just 24 years after he graduated from Moi University with a degree in information science, specializing in media. Before then, he had worked for K24 as an intern.
“When I was 24 and I got hired by Citizen Television straight out of campus,” he is quoted as saying in a past interview.
“That was a very pivotal point in my life. Many did not believe that one can get employed at a reputable organization without having connections. The job came at a time when I had been turned down by other local TV stations – they told me I did not have the right type of voice for broadcast.”
Although he has not publicly stated his next stop, it is understood that he could be joining NTV, where he will take up The Trend show from Larry Madowo, who abandoned the programme due to what he called imitations by other TV stations.
Raburu has been presenting various programme at Citizen TV, including Power Breakfast, lunchtime news bulletin and 10 over 10 show on Saturday night. Some time back he used to bring the weekly TruthMeter show, which was stopped.
This is the second biggest loss for Citizen TV this year after the broadcast powerhouse lost prime-time news presenter Janet Mbugua, who had become synonymous with the station.
Raburu, who has put on weight considerably since joining Citizen seven years ago, has won fans on TV through his engaging presentation skills. Quite often, he finds himself part of the audience, which he had perfected with now popular 10 over 10 show. A source close to his family said, his wife has expressed reservations on the manner in which he ‘mingles with ladies’ on the night show.
You may also like
- Citizen journalists who survived plane crash identified
- The Star begins to rebuild depleted business desk
At one time, in January 2016, he injured his leg live on air while taking part in physical exercise in the studio during a power breakfast show forcing his co-host Kirigo Ng’arua to end the show abruptly. [see video at the end]
He has won a number of awards including Maji Award was for a three part feature series Deadly Waters, Children’s Rights Award for a series on the Journey of Resilience of children from Rwanda and Road Safety Awar for the series Killer Drivers.
Over a month ago, Raburu announced on social media that he could be starting his own media business soon and even shared a photo of the company’s logo. This was the first signal that he could be on his way off the Citizen TV screen.
If he joins NTV, it will be a big catch for Nation Media Group as he could bring in a light way of presentation that is lacking at the station. He also has huge following on social media and Instagram, which can easily be converted into TV viewers.
He is said to make ‘lots of money’ from corporates and other organisations for whom he promotes brands and campaigns, though this could be negatively affected if he decides to leave media completely.
[efsflexvideo type=”youtube” url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPzmxuvd0yU” allowfullscreen=”yes” widescreen=”yes” width=”420″ height=”315″/]
Kenyan journalist wins award for RVR graft expose
Patrick Mayoyo detailed how part of Ksh 17 billion loan meant to improve the consortium’s services by buying new locomotives was used on purchasing used ones that were later expensively modified
Kenya investigative journalist Patrick Mayoyo has bagged another award for his expose on how World Bank loans to Rift Valley Railways were stolen by a rail company in Kenya and Uganda.
The story, titled the Lunatic Express Files, was among stories that won accolades during the Norbert Zongo Investigative Journalism awards.
In the story, Mayoyo, a former deputy news editor with the Daily Nation, detailed how part of Ksh 17 billion (US$164 million) loans meant to improve RVR’s services by buying new locomotives was used on purchasing used ones that were modified at a cost of six times their value.
The story that won the merit award, revealed how development finance institutions supported companies using the world’s most secretive financial centres commonly known as tax havens and did not have proper mechanism in place to monitor loans they advanced to developing countries.
Mayoyo, now the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Reporter, also revealed that developing countries lose billions of dollars every year through tax avoidance and evasion.
The Nobert Zongo Investigative Journalism Prize is an award of excellence to reward the best works of Investigative journalism in Africa.
The prize aims to promote a journalism of investigation and research, on subjects related to political, economic, social and cultural life.
The award is named after Nobert Zongo who was the editor of the weekly newspaper L’Ind’ependant in Burkina Faso who dedicated his professional career to uncovering the truth.
He was assassinated in 1998, at the age of 49, while investigating allegations linking the brother of then Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaor’e, to a high-profile unresolved murder.
The story revealed that most DFIs including the World Bank continue to face major challenges in measuring their overall development impact, and ensuring that the projects they fund do not harm communities in developing countries.
Following the revelations, the World Bank slapped sanctions against RVR and the Kenyan government has since cancelled the 25-year-old concession contract it had signed with RVR.
– The original version of this story appeared in the Daily Reporter.
Popular TV girl, Amina Abdi, quits K24. Where next?
There are reports she is set to replace NTV’s Larry Madowo on The Trend show. Madowo recently shifted to the new Sidebar current affairs programme
Speculation is rife as to where popular TV girl, Amina Abdi Rabar, is headed to after announcing she was quitting K24 last Friday.
Some think, the former Alfajiri show host, is set to replace NTV’s Larry Madowo on The Trend show. Madowo recently shifted to the new Sidebar current affairs programme.
The Capital FM radio presenter had been hosting the popular morning show for two years before she called it quits.
‘’It’s been a good run @k24tv thanks to my wonderful bosses! I have been with K24 Alfajiri for the last two years and it’s been amazing, check out my page for more information on where I’m headed next!’’ Amina, who is also a presented with Capital FM, posted on social media.
It also recently emerged she would be leaving popular radio show, Hits not Homework, becuase she reveals she has outgrown it.
Apart from radio and TV, Amina is also a singer, MC and an actor.
She is married to Homeboyz CEO DJ John Rabar and they are blessed with one son.
She is engaged in two personal campaigns, Operation Santa – An intiative Amina started so as to feed street families. Whereby together with her fans (Amina Army) they go to different locations and feed street families and Brunch With Amina – This is a youth empowerment programme whereby Amina has an intimate chat with ladies over the different fields in which she’s had a chance to work in.
There is also Dare to Believe with Amina, a flagship initiative that focuses on encouraging young men and women especially those who are still in school, to dare to believe that they can be anything they set their mind to regardless of the challenges that they face.
The initiative also seeks to inspire them to be successful and work even harder just like she has over the years to make a name for herself in the media industry.
Amina is also the brand ambassador for Daisy girl. It is a reusable sanitary towel company founded for the sole reason of donation to disadvantaged girls.
We can only wish her the very best in her future endeavours.
Standard employees told to go on annual leave
In a memo to staff, Group Head of Human Resources Nicholas Siwatom expresses concern that leave ourstanding has been accumulating forcing the company to carry a heavy burdern
The Standard Group has asked all its permanent employees to reduce their pending leave days as the media house embarks on austeriry measures in the wake of an anticipated drop in 2017 profits by 25%.
In a memo to staff, Group Head of Human Resources Nicholas Siwatom expresses concern that leave ourstanding has been accumulating forcing the company to carry a heavy burdern and urged them to proceed on their leave as the year comes to close, noting that it is important and healthy for employees to take time off from work.
“It has been noted that leave outstanding is accumulating and the company is carrying a heavy leave burden. It is important and healthy to take time off from work to take your leave and we approach the end of the year you are advised to plan with your manager/ supervisor your leave to ensure that you clear your pending leave or carry forward at least 5 days,” Mr Siwatom says.
It is not clear when employess at the Standard Group are reluctant to take their outstanding leaves but there have been reports that the company is planning to shed off more employees to reduce its wage bill in the face of dwindling fortunes.
However, the situation is not unique to the Standard Group. Across the media world, most employees re often reluctant to take leave to protect their interests and justify their relevance in the newsroom with the main culprits being editors and senior reporters.
This, in most cases, forces employers to buy leave days at premium rate when journalists are laid off or change jobs, which has served to encourage them not take a break.
But, at the same time, restructuring process in most media houses in recent years have seen them operate at the bare minimum in terms of personell, making them unable to accomidate annual leave for its dependable journalists, a situation that was compounded by this year’s prolonged elections process.
However, as a sign that things are not rosy at the Mombasa Road-based Standard Group, the media house recently restricted access to non-core online platforms such as Whasapp.
‘Fake News’ reinforces trust in mainstream media
New study by Kantar found that the reputation of traditional print and broadcast media outlets has proven more resilient than social media platforms and online only news outlets
Traditional print media and broadcast outlets are more trusted that digital platforms in the coverage of politics and elections, a new study by the world’s leading research, data and insight brand, Kantar, has revealed.
The global “Trust in News” study, which surveyed 8,000 individuals across Brazil, France, the United Kingdom and the United States of America about their attitudes to news coverage of politics and elections, found that:
- The efforts to brand ‘mainstream news media’ as ‘fake news’ have largely failed. The reputation of traditional print and broadcast media outlets has proven more resilient than social media platforms and online only news outlets, primarily as a result of the depth of coverage being delivered.
- Audiences are becoming more widely informed and sophisticated in their engagement with, and evaluation of, news content.
- The public retain a belief that journalism is key to the health of democracy – but have become more sceptical. Specifically, in both in Brazil and USA, where a significant percentage of the population believe ‘fake news’ impacted the outcome of their most recent elections.
Who do we trust?
The reputational fallout of the ‘fake news’ phenomenon has been predominantly borne by social media and messaging platforms, and ‘online only’ news channels. Print magazines, at 72%, are the most trusted news source, closely followed by the other traditional outlets of print newspapers and TV and radio news. Only one in three recognise social media sites and messaging apps as a trusted news source. ‘Online only’ news outlets are trusted by half of the population, significantly less than their print and broadcast brethren. Interestingly, the online presence of print and broadcast media are trusted slightly less than the originating titles and channels.
Social media and messaging platforms have sustained significant reputational damage as a source of trusted news. News coverage of politics and elections on social media platforms (among which Facebook is dominant with 84% usage in the preceding week) and messaging apps (of which Whatsapp is the most used) is ‘trusted less’ by almost sixty percent of news audiences (58% & 57% respectively) because of the ‘fake news’ phenomenon. ‘Online only’ news outlets also sustained significant reputational damage in this respect: ‘trusted less’ by 41% of news audiences.
Print titles have proved more resilient, experiencing a smaller loss of trust, with print magazines and newspapers both ‘trusted less’ by 23% of audiences. However, both categories also experienced similar increases in trust in their coverage (23% and 17% respectively).
Print media nets out with more than three quarters of news audiences trusting them ‘the same’ or ‘more than’ before the ‘fake news’ phenomenon. 24-hour news channels also retain a strong position as a trusted source with 78% of news audiences trusting them ‘the same’ or ‘more than’ before the ‘fake news’ narrative.
Across all four surveyed countries, 46% of news audiences believe ‘fake news’ had an influence on the outcome of their most recent election. This was most pronounced in Brazil – where 69% believed fake news had an impact, and the USA where 47% believe there was an influence. There is though some recognition that companies like Facebook and Google are taking steps to tackle ‘fake news’. (13% of UK news audiences claiming to have seen efforts vs a third of Brazilians, 16% in France and 22% in the US).
News consumption habits are evolving
The news-reading public are becoming a more widely informed audience. 40% of news audiences have increased the number of news sources they use compared to 12 months prior. ‘All online’ has overtaken television as the primary source of news (figure 3). With under 35 year olds, social media – despite its reputational issues –almost matches television as a source of news (65% Vs 69%).
The news audience is additionally becoming a more thoughtful audience. Contrary to ‘news filter bubble’ or ‘echo chamber’ narratives, we find 40% of social media users explore alternate views to their own and almost two thirds worry that ‘personalisation’ will create a ‘news filter bubble’. More than three quarters of news consumers claim to have independently fact-checked a story, while 70% have reconsidered sharing an article – worried that it might be fake news. On the flip side, almost one if five admit to sharing a story after reading only the headline.
The Kantar ‘Trust in News’ survey conducted representative sample surveys of 2,000 individuals each in Brazil, France, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. A more complete summary of the survey can be found on Kantar Insight pages, along with access to the full report.
Nestlé, US varsity unveil fully funded pediatric nutrition course
Over 30 nurses and nutritionists from Kenya have successfully completed a seven-month Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Pediatric Nutrition (PGPN)...
Why accidents will remain a nightmare on our roads
So far, we have lost 2,397 lives this year as of November 9. This includes pedestrians (907), passengers (575) motorcyclists...
Uhuru’s win leaves Raila in limbo
The Supreme Court has unanimously dismissed two consolidated petitions against President Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election, dealing a major blow to NASA...
Pastors drive out accident ghosts on Thika Road
Church leaders and residents from Nyeri and Kiambu Counties Friday held prayers to cleanse and bless the busy Thika Super...
Three NASA MPs arrested ahead of rally
According to Homa bay Women's Representative Glady Wanga, MPs Babu Owino, TJ Kajwang and Steve Mbogo, were taken to Kilimani...
Kenyan priest charged over Sh104,000 theft
Father Alexander Mutua Munyao is accused of stealing from the Lismore Diocese in northern New South Wales, Australia
Envoy urges SA firms to aid Kenya’s poor children
High Commissioner Koleka A. Mqulwana stressed the need to work closely with the communities in a bid to raise their...
Tsvangirai flies back as Mugabe handover imminent
Veteran President has been given an opportunity to negotiate an amicable exit and would hand over to recently sacked VP...
10 counties took lion’s share of roads funds, study reveals
Of these, Nairobi and Mombasa alone took up more than one third of the total spending, research conducted by the...
Mugabe under siege as military takes power
Zimbabwe’s military on Wednesday confirmed that it had seized power in a targeted assault on “criminals” around President Robert Mugabe,...